We are hiring for the 2021 Farm Season.
Wicked Good Produce, a diversified vegetable farm located in Whitefish, Montana that practices intensive, reduced tillage and organic techniques on approximately one and a half acres. The farm provides food to our community via several avenues including online farmers market, veggie club memberships, Whitefish Downtown Farmers’ Market and direct sales to wholesale accounts. In addition to providing an online shopping experience from our farm we collaborate with several other farms/producers – a one stop shop to increase access to local seasonal produce.
Job Title: Seasonal Farm Worker
Duration: Seasonal Full Time, April 13 – October 16, Monday through Friday with the occasional weekend
Farm worker will assist with all aspects of our operation. This includes but is not limited to greenhouse seeding, watering, transplanting, cultivating and harvesting of crops. Will use hand tools such as hoes, trowels, shovels, harvest knives, scissors, paper pot transplanter, field seeders, and a flame weeder. Will assist with post-harvest handling and packing, attend farmers market, pack and organize weekly orders. May construct trellises, repair fences and high tunnels or storage building, apply fertilizers/compost, install irrigation and apply row covers.
Who should apply:
Applicants should be interested in learning about intensive vegetable production and building local food systems. Farming is humbling and rewarding as it requires long days in all types of weather (snow, rain, extreme heat) and it is physically and mental demanding. We are looking for individuals who are hardworking, dependable, observant, self-motivated and willing to challenge themselves to improve technique and efficiencies.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements and Abilities:
- Demonstrate an interest in small scale intensive diversity crop production and local food systems.
- Maintain enthusiasm, good attitude, honesty and a willingness to treat all co-workers with respect, despite challenging work conditions.
- Ability to work efficiently at a fast pace with daily deadlines, both independently and as a team.
- Ability to follow instructions and retain training information.
- Tolerate variable weather conditions (rain, snow, heat) for extended periods of time.
- Repetitively lift and carries items up to 50lbs.
- Stand, sit, bend, kneel, stretch and squat for long periods of time while using best practices to maintain strong long term personal health
- Possess a valid Driver’s License
- Arrive at work “dressed for success “– proper attire, boots, sun protection, rain gear etc.
Compensation: Pay range is from $10-$13/hr depending on experience. Crew are responsible for their own meals. Each employee will receive a weekly veggie club box and will have access to seconds.
Housing: We do not offer any housing options.
Please submit the following five items: a cover letter addressing the qualifications and requirements listed in job announcement as well as the four questions below, a current resume, contact information for three references, and two professional letters of reference. Professional letters of reference can be email or mailed directly from referrer.
- There are several diversified vegetable farms in the Flathead Valley, why are you applying to Wicked Good Produce?
- What skills, knowledge and or concepts do you want to gain from joining our team?
- Our operation is composed of four main components please rank (1st – 4th) according to your area of interest
- Field Work
- Harvest – Post harvest packing
- Farmers Market
- Packing orders for online markets
- If you were a vegetable what would it be and why?
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Application deadline is January 31st or open till filled.
Submit complete applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
or via mail to:
Wicked Good Produce
45 Fir Avenue
Whitefish, MT 59937